June 11, 2009

Double The Blessing


Hey Everybody,

Yesterday we had our first ultrasound of the baby. It was an amazing experience that I will never forget. As they started the ultrasound, Kealy and I were both looking intently at the small screen in front of us. Suddenly, a small white blob in the shape of a kidney bean appeared on the screen. "That must be the baby!" I thought to myself. Suddenly, however, it disappeared, and another white blob, now on the other side of the picture, appeared. "What's that?" I thought to myself. The n, the doctor uttered three words that blew us away: "You're having twins". Kealy and I were both speechless. We couldn't believe that there were two babies inside of her. We had become jokingly suspicious after being teased about the possibility and hearing about how many twins were in both sides of our family, but we never actually allowed our minds to go there. But true enough, we've received 'Double the Blessing'.

Honestly, we're both still in a little bit of shock. We went to Applebee's for dinner after the appointment to 'celebrate', but neither of us ate very much. I think we are just overwhelmed at the adjustment at this point, not to say that we are any less excited about the news, but still in shock, I think. Today has been a day of processing and realizing everything that will change. We did have a wonderful lunch with Kealy's grandparents, who brought us the TWO stuffed puppies pictured above. Fortunately, we both have the day off, so we are able to relax and process the exciting news. We are also so thankful that we have such a great community of support surrounding us for this new adventure.

The ultrasound showed that both of the babies are healthy and growing just the way they are supposed to. Their heartbeats are very strong and one of them even moved for us during the ultrasound. Kealy's blood work and tests also came back very positive. You can also see in one of the ultrasound pictures below that the babies are in their own growth sacks. The doctor said this was great news because they will each have their own 'space' to grow without risk of getting tangled together. Its so nice that they are practicing sharing space together already!


Thank you for your prayers so far. We would love for 'double' the prayer effort now, for continued safety and healthy growth as we continue to enjoy this pregnancy together. We have a more complete and thorough ultrasound in two weeks that will continue to help us monitor the growth of our two 'little ones'. Stay tuned...

with love,
Ryan and Kealy Thorson (plus two!)

6 comments:

Carol and Dorn travelin on said...

still reeling from the news as you are. Sure enjoyed our time together yesterday in sharing the news. Nice to see the 'two' puppies in the blog too. Gr Gma

Karissa Berndt said...

Oh my goodness, congratulations! How exciting. Ryan, I don't know if you remember me... Kealy and I are 2nd cousins. Her Grandma Carol is my aunt. Anyway, I really am so very excited for you guys. You'll be amazing parents!

Ashley said...

We are so excited for you two! Twins are awesome, if I do say so myself:) We will keep praying and look forward to meeting up with you all soon!

Tammy Bowers said...

This is sooooooo cool!!!! I was sharing with Kealy last week that there are 4 different kind of twins. If each baby has it's own growth sack, it rules out 1 of the 4 types and it's possible to have a boy and a girl. How cool would that be!!!! Also, if both babies are about the same size, then it rules out another type. So, Dr. Tammy's eliminated two kinds of twins for sure...maybe three. I have my theory. This is so fun!

Tanya said...

Love the updates on the blog! I just found out that you're updating it again. It will be so fun for friends and family to stay updated on the pregnancy through the blog!

You know how excited I am for my first grandchildren! Seeing those little babies in the ultrasound brought tears to my eyes. I already so love those little babies.

Love you, Mom

Anna said...

Hi Kealy!
It's Anna (Petersen) Anderson. I heard about your happy news, then stumbled on your blog. Congratulations to you both! I am excited for you as you begin this next adventure. You will love it and you will be so great at it. Congrats, again!