June 25, 2007

55 days:"I Don't Know For Sure"--Daily Blogging


Hello Friends and Family,
I thought I would give daily blogging a try. I don't know if anything that will happen today will be interesting to any of you, so, if its boring just let me know. We had an exciting evening here at the capital last night, from 3:00-10:30. Quite a day as we prepare for Sine Die (meaning the end of the session). It is exciting and frustratingly interesting because the schedule changes so much. Everyone is searching for information and what are schedule will be like these week, I have heard millions of different ideas: We'll be done tonight, tomorrow, Friday...so I don't know what to believe. My standard line when I am asked for rumors and speculations is: "I don't know for sure". As I continued to repeat this standard phrase almost unconsciously after the 100th time, I began to analyze it on a metaphysical level. You know, I thought, it is kind of like we should live life: "I don't know for sure". We really don't know what each day will bring or what might happen. So...I am trying to live in the moment, which can be hard for me...but I am having some forced practice. At least I have a great bunch of people to work with and not a whole lot of other responsibilities. I do miss Kealy, but she'll probably get more work done without me bothering her. So, anyways, we'll try this daily info thing and see how it goes. I am going to need some projects after this job is done, so maybe I can improve the blogging skills before embarking to the far east.

Sincerely,
Ryan and Kealy Thorson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ryan and Kealy! I'm new at this blogging but it's a lot of fun!

Your "I Don't Know For Sure" thought is so good. I was just reading about that very idea in John Piper's book FUTURE GRACE. He refers to the passsage in the Bible in the book of James about being prideful when we say we will go here or there as if we know what tomorrow will bring. It is God who is sovereign to manage the details of our future. Here's what the passage says:

Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow, we shall go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit." Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. Instead, you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we shall live and also do this or that." (James 4:13-17)

The books goes on to say: The way to battle this arrogance is to yield to the sovereignty of God in all the details of life, and rest in his infallible promises to show himself mighty on our behalf (2 Chronicles 16:9), to pursue us with goodness and mercy every day (Psalm 23:6), to work for those who wait for him (Isaiah 64:4), and to supply us with all we need to live for his glory (Hebrews 13:21).

I love this because I know that whatever His plans are for you -- China (If the Lord wills) -- He is sovereign.

I love you.

Mom